Tuesday 4 March 2014

20. Sitges Carnival

 



I know when everyone thinks of the word Carnival, they think of Brazil, or atleast I did.

However, Spain showed me otherwise, and to be honest wowed me and what a weekend it was. Me and my friends decided to head to Sitges Carnival, as everyone we had spoken too, ad said it was the best around, and it didn´t disapoint.

Sitges is situated just thirty minutes by train from Barcelona and therefore, it wasn´t hard to get to. It is a beautiful town on the coast, and I have been there a few times before, but I have never seen anything like this. Sitges is known to be quite a wild and free place and it was certainly that.

We headed there at about four in the afternoon on Sunday, which gave us time to get over our hangovers from the night before. Although we went on the Sunday, there were festivities taking place all weekend, we chose the Sunday as there was the parade going through the town and it was something we all wanted to see.

As soon as we got there, the streets were full of balloons, banners and people in fancy dress.
It was like walking into a fairytale, everywhere we looked there was something going on, and the weather didn´t let us down, and there was no rain in sight. We went for a coffee and some churros, and not long after claimed a place next to the parade route.

We waited about an hour, as we had no idea where the route began, but it was worth it. When we heard the blasting music and saw sight of flashing lights and feathers, we knew the Carnival had arrived.

The costumes were amazing, each float had a
completely different theme and each one was
original. I have never seen a Carnival parade, so
I have nothing to compare it to, but by the look on everyone´s faces, we weren´t the only ones suprised. I can´t imagine how much work went into it. It went on for hours, and each float was just as entertaining as the one before.

Unfortunately we were very tired from the night before. But from the majority of what I saw, I can say it was a Carnival to remember, and I would love to come back next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment