Friday 14 March 2014

22. Un Fin de Semana en Lyon






Well, the title gives this blog away, but yes I went away for the weekend to Lyon, not only to see the amazing city but also to visit my lovely friend who was here in Barcelona last semester. However, as everyone knows, the French language is not my strongpoint, despite the fact I have once studied it, but I got into a routine of saying ‘oui’ and ‘s'il vous plaît

It was a short but sweet weekend, but I definitely enjoyed it, and to make things better, the weather was quite warm, so the sunglasses were out. I only arrived there Friday night, but with only a one hour flight from Barcelona, I wasn’t tired at all. As it was my first night, we decided to stay in and catch up on our lives and eat a meal that my friend has once promised me: Raclette. Which is meats and cheese with potatoes, however you melt the cheese on a machine and there it is. But it was so nice, and I love French cheese, I definitely think we ate a block each.

On the Saturday, we got up nice and early and headed into central Lyon, where we wandered the streets and walked alongside the river. I don’t really know what my opinion on France was before, but it was never on the top of my ‘to visit’ list, However I went to Paris last November, and now Lyon and I feel like I want to explore it more. One in the centre, we went to the main high-street of shops of the Place Bellecour and it was all so pretty. One thing that stood out for me, was the buildings. I really liked the architecture and the design of the streets. We also decided to go to a Vietnamese restaurant for lunch, which was nice, as I haven’t eaten that style of food since I was back in the uk, so it was a nice change.

We then headed to a cute café, where I ate an amazing chocolate tart, it was delicious. Not long after, we went home, after lots of walking around and discovering new places. Then, after a cup of tea and an ‘aperitif’, we headed out again, into Sant Etienne, which is the city my friend lives in. We headed to a nice restaurant with all her friends, which was a bit overwhelming at first as nobody spoke English or Spanish, but after a while we managed to communicate in some way or another. I opted for a salad, which sounds healthy, however it was full of cheese, meats and vegetables, but it was nice.

After the meal, we all decided to go bowling, It was about 1am but apparently there it stays open to god knows what time. So, there we went. I can say that I had such a good time, and who knew late night bowling would be so much fun. I am not sure if it exists in the UK, but it is definitely something I would be in too, and makes a changed for the usual club night.

On Sunday, the sun was still shining so we went for a barbecue at my friend’s parents’ house, and the food was amazing.  I tried various cheeses, which I can’t remember the name of and also some lovely desserts, which I would love to get the recipe of.

So there it is, my weekend in Sant Etienne/Lyon and what a good one it was. I am currently writing this as I prepare to go to Valencia, so watch out for my next post. Only three months left in the best experience of my life, so I better make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment