Monday 10 March 2014

21. Ball de Bastons


What a busy week, and it´s not over. But one of my newest experiences is of the Catalan Dance, Ball de Bastons. Here is a link to a group in Barcelona that practice this dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH5X1SFEMaE

Before I came to Barcelona I had never heard of this tradition, however it is clearly a big part of the Catalan culture and apparently English and Welsh Morris dancers are well-known relatives to this tradition. I went last Wednesday with my Catalan class, and it was definitely a new experience to me, especially as it involves sticks made of oak. Firstly, we all watched the experts do a dance and then we got up to join in ourselves. At the beginning the rhythm was hard to keep up with, and the fact that I was scared I may hit someone with my stick. However after a few dances, we all started to get the hang of it. I definitely recommend this dance to let out anger, seen as my partner was telling me to hit my stick at his harder. After an hour of dancing around, we finished the session and I definitely enjoyed it and I think my classmates did too. Well, a short and sweet post, but a nice memory.  

1 comment:

  1. Que semana ocupada, y no ha terminado. Pero uno de mis nuevas experiencias es de la Danza catalán, Ball de Bastons. Aquí hay un enlace a un grupo de Barcelona que practican este baile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH5X1SFEMaE

    Antes de venir a Barcelona nunca había oído sobre esta tradición, sin embargo, no hay duda de que es una gran parte de la cultura catalán y también parece a los bailarines ingleses y galeses de Morris. Fui el miércoles pasado con mi clase de catalán, y fue una experiencia nueva para mí, sobre todo porque se trata de palos de madera de roble. En primer lugar, todos veremos cómo los expertos hagan el baile y luego nos levantemos a unirse en el baile. Al principio fue difícil seguir el ritmo, y el hecho de que tenía miedo a golpear a alguien con mi bastón. Sin embargo después de unos bailes, todos empecemos a conseguir con el ritmo, movimiento y todo. Además, recomiendo este baile para para liberarte del estrés visto como mi compañero me dijo que necesitaba golpear más duro con mi palo. Durante una hora de bailar, terminemos la sesión y creo que todos lo hemos disfrutado. Bueno, un corto y dulce post, pero es un buen recuerdo.

    ReplyDelete