Thursday 1 May 2014

27. Marrakech


This time last week I was in Marrakesh in Morocco and it was definitely and eye opener for me. From only having been within Europe and a few times to the Caribbean, there was definitely an immediate culture shock, yet it was a shock I am now glad I have experiences.


Obviously, Morocco is part of Africa, and in comparison to Europe it has a completely different way of life and religion. However, something that surprised me is that the people there speak both Arabic and French, but both equal amounts, which was useful as my I can say a few words in French, although my Arabic knowledge is nonexistent. A few things for me that I found very different to the way of life here in Europe, is that pedestrians do not have right of way, and therefore attempting to cross a road is a bit of a challenge, although zebra crossings do exist, despite the fact that the majority of them don´t actually lead anywhere. Another notable difference is the fact you have the haggle for everything, which actually made me appreciate fixed prices, so that I can look for what I want in peace. Although, a few times it can be a joke with you and the shopkeeper. Finally, when I first arrived in Morocco I was surprised as from the outside there didn´t seem to be any grand parks or buildings, as I began to learn that all the beautiful hidden gems are inside, and therefore the quote ´never judges a book by its cover´ definitely comes into play there.

Minus the differences I have noted about Marrakesh and Europe, it was a really great trip and we managed to get around a fair bit. We went to the Majorelle gardens, Menira gardens and obviously the main square, even though many people led us the wrong way, we eventually got there. One of my favourite places we visited was the Photography Museum, as not only was the inside something to see, but the terrace had one of the best views of Marrakesh. We also went to the Museum of Marrakech which was like a labyrinth of art and The Medersa Ben Youssef, which

was an Islamic college and is named after the Almoravid sultan Ali ibn Yusuf, who expanded the city and its influence considerably.

While I was there I also managed to ride a camel and have a spa experience which included a traditional hamam. Not only that but we managed to haggle for some shoes from the suks and also  typically buy some argan oil that is endemic to Morocco and some Saffron spice, which is about triple the price in the UK. So, all in all it was a new experience for me, but I would definitely recommend Marrakesh as a city escape and I look forward to experiencing more places like this in the future.

Now I only have two months left in the wonderful city,
that is Barcelona, so it´s time to make the most of it.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment