Friday 4 April 2014

24. Chocolate Caliente

(La versión español está en los comentarios)

Well, the last time I wrote on this blog was about Valencia, and what an amazing weekend that was, but since then I have finished my exams and the University of Pompeu Fabra, had a little visit home to do some house hunting and started my work placement. How times flies. I have also found it the right time to distinguish the difference between hot chocolate in the UK and Spain (well, Barcelona), but before I ramble about this very important issue, here is what I have been up to for the past few weeks:

Firstly, I have finished the University of Pompeu Fabra of which I spent six months in the faculty of translation, and although I am ready for something new, I will miss the university and the routine I had got accustomed too. It will also be a shock when I return to the UK, with the strict university rules and regulations once again taking over my life. But anyway, once my final exams were done I headed back to Manchester in order to find a house in Newcastle for next year. House hunting for university is definitely more stressful in the UK, unlike when I came to Barcelona and I had a flat in less than a week. If only the UK had this mentality.  Luckily for me however, I managed to find a place for me and friends and therefore I can breathe easy for the next few months. Not only did I do some house hunting, but I also managed to see a few friends and squeeze in a night out. I also managed to stock up on all foods British, such as, ‘full English’ and a ‘roast’ which I do miss in Barcelona. One of my favourite things of my visit was that I went to one of my favourite places for hot chocolate, which Is something that everyone who knows me knows that I can’t live without in life. It is a chocolatier place called Slattery’s, and I cannot recommend it enough. The hot chocolates are simply delicious. 




Now back to the reasoning behind this post, hot chocolate. The one thing my journey to the UK meant is I am yet to decide whether I prefer the hot chocolate in the UK or Spain, and I am a firm lover of all things hot and chocolatey. But first let me distinguish between the two:

In the UK when we say hot chocolate we mean: Chocolate powder with hot milk or water.

In Spain when you say ‘chocolate caliente’ which is the literal translation for hot chocolate you get: a cup of actual melted chocolate.





The only way you can get some form of our version in the UK is saying-

Colacao: which is the chocolate powder you put with hot milk, similar to the UK.
Or
Cacaolat: Catalan chocolate milk which is usually heated up.



So, I am just saying beware when you come to Spain as you may think you’ve asked for hot chocolate and you just get a spoon and a cup of melted chocolate. However, I am not complaining, as it is delicious but slightly sickly after a whole cup.

Moreover, It is now April and a turning point in my year abroad as I start my second part, a work placement. I am interning in an online magazine of arts and events called Relevant BCN, so my blog may be full of gallery reviews and events in Barcelona, just the way I like it. I am excited to start something new. Below is a link to the website, so watch out for my articles.

http://www.relevantbcn.com/


 

 

1 comment:

  1. Pues, la última vez que escribí en este blog fue sobre Valencia y que fue un fin de semana increíble, pero hasta entonces he terminado mis exámenes y la vida de estudiante en La Universitat de Pompeu Fabra, Así que fui a Inglaterra para encontrar una casa para septiembre y empecé mi practica. El tiempo vuele. También pienso que es el momento para distinguir entre la diferencia de ´chocolate caliente´ en el Reino Unido y España (pues, Barcelona), pero antes de que me voy a hablar sobre este tema muy interesante, aquí es que he hecho durante las últimas semanas:
    Primeramente, he terminado la Universitat de Pompeu Fabra donde pasé seis meses en la facultad de traducción, y aunque estoy lista para algo nuevo, voy a echar de menos la rutina de ir a la universidad. También va ser muy extraño cuando vuelva a Inglaterra, con las reglas y regulaciones muy estrictas en la universidad. Pero, bueno cuando acabé mis exámenes, fui a Manchester para intentar a encontrar una casa in Newcastle para el año académico que viene. Para encontrar una casa en el Reino Unido es más estresada que Barcelona, donde encontré un piso en una semana. Me gustaría que el Reino Unido tuviera esa mentalidad. Sin embargo, con suerte, podía encontrar unas casa para mí y mis amigas y entonces puedo relejar un poco más ahora. No sólo encontré una casa sino también fui a ver algunas amigas y salir en una discoteca. También comí unas de mis comidas favoritas un ´full english´ y un asado, las comidas más británicas. Además fui a uno de mis lugares favoritos para un chocolate caliente (estilo inglés), que es algo que sin lo no puedo vivir. Es un lugar que se llama Slattery´s, y me recomiéndolo un montón. Los chocolate calientes son buenísimos.
    Ahora, volvemos a la razón de este blog, chocolate caliente. Una cosa que he dado en cuenta que me fui a Inglaterra es que no puedo decidir si prefiero el chocolate caliente en el Reino Unido o España. Así que tenemos que distinguir entre las dos:
    En el Reino Unido, cuando decimos chocolate caliente, significa: chocolate en polvo con leche o agua caliente.
    En España, cuando dicen chocolate caliente, significa: una taza de chocolate derretido.
    La única manera para tener casi lo mismo que el Reino Unido es:

    Colacao: que es el chocolate en polvo como en Inglaterra.
    o
    Cacaolat: leche chocolate de una marca catalana que puedes calentar.

    Entonces, estoy diciendo para tener cuidado cuando venís a España y queréis un chocolate caliente inglesa. Pero no estoy quejando, porque me gusta la versión español.
    Por otro lado, ahora estamos en el mes de abril, y estoy empezando mi práctica en la organización Relevant BCN. Así que mi blog va ser llena de críticas de galerías y eventos etc.

    ReplyDelete