Thursday 12 September 2013

3.From Manchester to Barcelona

Day 6: the Catalan word for teeth is Dents and the word for timetable is Calendari

Firstly, it has been nearly a week of living in Barcelona, I luckily now have a flat, an orthodontist, a Spanish mobile number and a university timetable, no thanks to my Spanish Castilian language skills though.

My flat hunting started on easypiso.com at least a month ago, but I have seen flats which looked like cabins I stayed in at PGL and flats which are made for dwarfs and I am not shy to say I am quite small, but not that small. But luckily, somehow I stumbled upon a gem, and now I have a flat with a terrace balcony and my own little cheeky balcony, along with a 2 minute walk away from La sagrada familia! Jackpot, although I don't move in till Monday, so hopefully everything will go to plan and i'm able to carry two suitcases on the metrolink, which seem to have a million escalators!

Then, I managed to book an appointment at a local orthodontist for my top brace, and everyone speaks Catalan, which is nothing like Spanish so I just kept saying the word dents and hoped for the best, and apparently I have an appointment next week, so I assume that's a good thing.

I also now have a Spanish phone number, hooray! but my English holiday phone could not be unlocked because it was too old, peculiar. but I managed to buy the exact same old phone in the shop to put a Spanish sim in, even weirder. But anyway, I am now able to give out my number, without explaining that its an English number and everyone pulling a face because they don't want to pay international fees!

To add to this very long blog entry, I start la Universidad de Pompeo Fabra next week, however the whole website is in Catalan and therefore I got slightly confused when choosing my classes, so I have ended up with subjects like geography and the economic history of Spain, which are all far from my comfort zone of media, arts and languages. So, the first thing on my agenda is to attempt to change them, yet I am yet to find my timetable, even though the word calendari is everywhere, I still have no timetable. So, I can't even currently go to the classes to change them.

That about sums up my week, not including the endless Cacaolats I have drank (Spanish hot chocolate), hours learning the underground and trips to a few tourist spots like Parc Guell, as everyone needs a bit of Gaudi architecture in their life!

Here are a few standard tourist pictures I've took..






Parc Guell                                                                     La sagrada familia, my new home.
















And a view of
B
A
R
C
E
L
O
N
A

No comments:

Post a Comment