Wednesday 4 September 2013

1.Third year abroad

First question? why is my blog called a Spanglish monkey, well I'm half English, half Spanish and I love monkeys, a good enough reason for me.
Now to the point:Third year abroad.

Everyone has heard the term before but this isn't no 'gap yah' or a time to 'find' myself. It is part of my university degree and in one day I move to Barcelona for a year, how scary. Especially after I have endured a summer of lounging around, eating more than I can chew and basically enjoying the home comforts, its time to experience something different, a life of paella.

Well, I am currently studying Spanish and Latin American studies alongside Media, culture and communications at Newcastle university, what a mouthful... and as part of my degree I have the luxury to work and study abroad for a year, so get me to Barcelona, I am finally all packed.

I wanted to go to a city full of diverse culture, exquisite cuisine, and an atmosphere like no other... and there was one place in my mind that stood out from all the rest obviously: Barcelona.
It is a place of Catalan independence, an awesome football team and ultimately a way of life I want to experience! no turning back now.

Alongside all those amazing things, it is my fathers birth place and therefore I feel it is part of my heritage, but a part that I am yet to explore and this is the perfect opportunity. Hopefully I will adjust to life abroad, my Spanish will be up to scratch and the Catalan barrier won't be an issue but ill see.

So, I have started this blog in order to document my journey, the ups and downs, not only for my own memory, i'm a goldfish.. but also for my friends and family to share a bit of my exciting experience, as i'm known to not have the best survival skills, so lets see. Currently I have nowhere to live, but that's a minor issue, what is important is the weather and the way to the beach.
Joking. I need a flat pronto.

From the Toon of Newcastle to La plaza de Catalunya.

No comments:

Post a Comment